Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Nursery Rhymes

A few years ago, I had a revelation - nursery rhymes are written for nursery children and that is exactly who the Rivers Class are!

Since then I have added to my repertoire of rhymes and songs. We say rhymes and sing for the joy of sharing of our voices in community. There are many other reasons we keep this time in our schedule and each rhyme is chosen with a purpose. At the end of this post you can find a list of these reasons. 



Right now you will find us singing a lot about sheep. I wonder why...
First we learned Baa Baa Black Sheep. Then we learned Mary Had a Little Lamb. 
We practiced following Mary to school just like her sheep.




Then we learned Little Bo Peep. We got down on our hands and knees and pretended to be sheep returning home.






Mrs Mauldin has been singing nursery rhymes to us in music class. We are captivated!





I hope your family will be with us in worship next Monday 17th as we share our part in the Christmas worship. Hint... 



We teach rhymes to celebrate the season or holiday, to expand our vocabularies, to practice numbers and counting, to wait a turn, to adjust the volume of our voice, to explore rhyming language, to follow directions, to learn patterns and rhythms, to build community through common experience, and many more reasons.