Sunday, May 17, 2020

A Mustard Seed is Tiny: Can you Count Them?

Do you remember this song that we sing in worship?

"We can move a mountain. We can move a mountain.
We can move a mountain... with a faith so small!
A mustard seed is tiny, but its tree grows very tall!
We can move a mountain... with a faith so small!"


In the envelope of special things that were mailed to you, 
 you have a small bag with some mustard seeds. 
They are tiny seeds. 
Before you plant your mustard seeds today, can you guess how many you have?
Could you even count them?
When I tried to count my seeds, you will see that it was a challenge for me!

My first way: I took a small handful of seeds, and I dropped one seed at a time
 into my egg carton.
 I counted out loud: "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR..."
This worked pretty well. But mustard seeds are very tiny, so it was tricky for me.

My second way: I thought that maybe I could use my 10-Frame to count the seeds.
Here is a short video of what happened! 
It was pretty funny-- at least Mr. Postema thought that it was funny!
My third way: I remembered counting using Tally Marks.
I put some mustard seeds on a piece of paper, and I used tally marks to count them.
The mustard seeds are a little hard to see in the picture because they are so tiny.
But none of the mustard seeds escaped while I tallied them. 
I counted 10 tiny mustard seeds.

Have fun when you guess how many seeds you have
 or count them before you plant them today.

I wonder if you will think of another way to count your mustard seeds.
If there are too many to count, how many seeds do you guess that you have?