Tuesday, May 26, 2020

What can you use to Measure a Book?

Here was my challenge today:
 I decided to measure the size of our read-aloud book. 
How long (or tall) is it?
How could I measure it? 
What could I use to measure how long (or tall) the side of the book is?
I thought that I could use things that I found at my home to measure the book!
Here are some of them:
 Do you see the Flair pens lined up on the side of the book?
How many "Flair pens tall" is the book?
How many "pennies tall" is the book?
 When I used Q-tips, I put them very close end-to-end.
How many Q-tips did I use?
 Then I used markers:
And small dice from a game:

What will you use to measure your book?
What was the favorite object that you used to measure your book?
How many of that measuring object did you use?
Can you guess what my favorite measuring object was?

Here are some additional activities and extensions: 
Compare measurements: more objects, fewer objects.
Do additional comparison counting.
Measure several books and compare how many measuring objects 
were used to measure each book.