Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Creating Colorful Nests with Eggs using Play Dough

On Monday I made some play dough. I made three colors, and I 
stored the play dough in containers.
Then I made balls, coils, slabs. 
I also explored making impressions using objects at home.
But I wondered if I could make a colorful nest with eggs using my play dough.
To make a nest, I started with a ball of play dough.
Then I made an indentation (a small opening or hole) in the ball
 so that it looked like a nest. The shape then looked like a curved bowl.
There are two ways to do this. 
The first way is to use your fingers and poke one finger into the ball. Then use your fingers to pinch the play dough up around the edges. (Sometimes this is called making a pinch pot.) You can watch a video of an art teacher making a pinch pot here 
or you can look at the photos of the pinch nests that I made:
Another way to make an indentation is by using your elbow and pressing it into the play dough! (This is also called making an elbow pot.) 
Here are the elbow nests that I made:
Now I wanted to make some eggs for my nests.
I made small and large balls of play dough for the eggs since birds
 lay eggs of different sizes.
Some of the eggs are round, but I also pressed the balls gently to make ovals.
Birds' eggs are many colors!
Finally, I put the eggs into the nests.
I wonder what kind of nest you will make. Maybe you will make several nests!
What color of eggs you will make to put into your nest or nests? 
How many eggs will you put into a nest? Some birds only lay one egg!

As always, please share photos of your beautiful play dough nests with Ms. Buckley who will post your photos so that we can all see your nests and eggs!